There are many treatment and therapy options available to those with a mental illness. Many centuries ago, people believed that mental illness was caused by demons or evil spirits taking control of one’s mind. Many of these people were tortured or even put to death. Patients were also chained to the wall and treated cruelly. A shift occurred when a physician by the name of Phillipe Pinel (1745-1826), argued that these patients should be treated with compassion. Pinel’s treatment of the mentally ill was named moral therapy. Moral therapy was based on Pinel’s view that humane treatment would produce positive changes in the patients’ behavior.
Many other forms of treatment have evolved since then; some experts believe that there may be as many as 400 forms of therapy for the mentally ill! Psychotherapy, according to your book, refers to, “techniques employed to improve psychological functioning and promote adjustment to life.” Psychotherapy refers only to techniques that are used by professionals in the field of psychology.
There are three main approaches to therapy: Insight therapy, Behavior therapy, and Biomedical therapy.
Psychological Based Therapies
Insight Therapy generally seeks to increase self knowledge and understanding into the client’s difficulties and problems.
- Psychoanalysis, developed by Sigmund Freud, is centered on the belief that psychological disorders can be treated by uncovering the unconscious feelings and conflicts that were lurking within.
- Cognitive therapy centers on a person’s thought processes and beliefs.
- Humanistic therapy emphasizes the present as well as the person’s interpretation of the experience.
- Group, Family, and Marital therapies treat multiple individuals at the same time.
Behavior Therapy believes that maladaptive behavior occurs as the result of learning; therefore, the focus is on looking at consequences such as reinforcement and punishment. The therapist uses principles of classical conditioning, operant conditioning, and observational learning.
There is a growing trend in psychological based therapies called the eclectic approach, which combines several different therapies.
Psychological principles are theories and beliefs about major areas of our lives, like cognitions, intelligence, social groups, habit, behavior, and many others.
Letâ€™s explore how we identify and utilize psychological principles in daily life. In a 2 page paper, please analyze the following:
- How do psychological principles affect the study of the behavior of individuals and groups?
- What are the parameters of behavioral deviance and its various therapies?
- How do psychological principles affect the study of individual differences?
- Last, explain the role of psychology in such areas as industry, complex organizations, law, and education.
This paper should be 2-3 pages in length and use APA formatting (cover page, paper body formatting, citations, and references