Read this news story from the journal Nature on a genetic mutation that eliminates the ability to feel pain.
- How did scientists know that this was a genetic disorder?
- What gene is involved in this condition, and why how does a mutation in this gene prevent the sensation of pain?
- Why does this altered protein prevent pain sensation but not the sensation of touch, temperature, sight, or any other modality except pain? How is that possible?
- Based on the mechanism of this disease, would you expect the mutant allele to be recessive or dominant?
- Are the people affected by this mutation free of all types of pain?