In the readings this week, we gain a greater understanding of society through our economic system and the part we play in it. As such, you get the opportunity to experience the classical works of Karl Marx. In Section Two of Social Theory Re-Wired â€“ â€œNetworks of Capital: Dimensions of Global Capitalismâ€ â€“ you are offered several classical and contemporary readings. Choose one of the readings in Section Two (but not the Introductory Essay) as the basis of your two- to three-page journal paper. (Please note: Do not choose Pierre Bourdieuâ€™s â€œThe Forms of Capitalâ€ as this is covered in the Week Three paper.) The purpose of the journal paper is to allow you to personally reflect on and present your experience of the reading.
In your journal paper, reflect on and present the following:
- What do you think the reading tells us about the economics of our society in general and our experience of social relationships within that economic society?
- What two to three points made by the social theorist did you find most interesting?
- In your own experience of living in an economic society, can you relate to the points made by the theorist in your chosen reading?
- How has the reading on the work of this theorist changed your perspective on society, economics, and capitalism?
- How has the reading enhanced your future experience of society and your study of Sociology?
(Please note: Do not choose a reading that is covered in an assignment or a discussion for the week. Do not choose the Introductory Essay for your Journal reflections.)