HRM 5365 Midterm Study Guide COMPLETE THE STUDY GUIDE
1. What is strategic staffing? How does it influence organizational performance?
2. Explain the components of strategic staffing.
3. What is the importance of employer branding?
4. Integrating the functional areas of human resource management
5. Competitive Advantage
c. sources of competitive advantage
d. types of strategies to gain competitive advantages
6. Talent Philosophy
e. human resource strategy
f. staffing strategy
g. viewing employees as assets or investments
7. Strategic Staffing Decisions
h. nine questions
i. core or flexible workers
j. internal or external talent focus
k. proactive or reactive staffing
l. job-oriented or talent-oriented
m. idiosyncratic jobs
n. centralized or decentralized
o. human capital advantage or human
p. human process advantage
8. Employment relationships
a. Explicit employment contracts vs. implicit employment contract
c. Difference between temporary workers, leased workers, outsourcing, and independent contractors.
9. All the laws and executive orders relevant to staff. (55-59)
d. Difference between BFOQ and Business Necessity
e. Disparate treatment and adverse impact
f. What is a mixed motives case?
g. Stock, flow, or concentration statistics
10. Barriers to Legally Defensible Staffing (75-76)
11. Beauty bias
12. What is the purpose of a job analysis? What is the first step?
What are the components of job-worker match?
13. What is a job? What is a job family? What is a job task?
14. What is the purpose of a job description? A person specification?
15. What is an essential function? Essential criteria vs. desirable criteria?
16. Job analysis methods: define, advantages and disadvantages of each?
a. Task inventory method
b. Critical incident technique
c. Job elements method
d. Structured questionnaire method
17. What is O*NET used for? What types of information are available?
18. What are KSAOs? How are they related to job duties?
19. What are competencies? Why is competency modeling important?
20. Why is it important to understand the employee value proposition?
21. What are the steps in the workforce planning process?
22. How would you apply the forecasts on pp. 118-119 to determine labor demand?
23. When would you use the following:
24. What is the primary limitation of all forecasting techniques?
25. What is the purpose of a talent inventory? Replacement chart?
26. Dealing with gaps between labor supply and demand. (129-131)
27. Difference between staffing yields and hiring yields. How is each determined?
28. How are workload-driven forecasting and staffing efficiency determined?
In this chapter, everything is important, so study it carefully! Just some points to focus on:
29. What is the difference between an active and a passive job seeker?
30. How would you use each of the internal recruiting sources?
31. How would you use each type of external recruiting sources?
32. Pull-up hiring? Poaching? Raiding? Is it ethical?
33. What is data mining?
35. Creating a Sourcing Plan
36. Perceptions of fairness:
37. Recruiter characteristics
38. What are some strategic recruitment metrics and their uses?
39. What makes up a companyâ€™s image? If the image is already positive, what can be done to improve the quality of the applicants
40. What are the three functions of the realistic job preview?
41. What are noncompensatory screen variables
42. What is the purpose of a recruitment guide?
43. Gen Yers
44. Pregnancy discrimination
45. Big data
46. Pre-employment testing articles