Stress: Mind and Body
Assignment: Must be original work with no plagiarism!!!! Please make sure and follow the grading rubric and answer each question to its entirety. This paper must have in-text citations and sources that I can look up online. Textbook is attached.
In a 5-page evaluative essay, you will explore how different psychological perspectives and theories affect wellness and illness due to life stressors. Review the case study, and then address the questions using the different psychological theories and perspectives covered in Units 1–6 on wellness and illness.
Case Study Nancy is a 50-year-old woman who has been smoking since she was 17-years-old. Over the years, she has developed a two pack per day habit. Nancy works as a case manager at a residential facility for children with mental health problems. She has a caseload of over 20 clients at any given time for whom she must conduct intakes and coordinate discharge plans when their treatment is completed. She also fields calls from health insurance companies and worried parents. Co-workers often ask her to fill in and provide direct service to clients when a staff member calls in sick. This is not in her job description, but Nancy likes to help out. She recently heard that the facility where she works may close due to budget cuts, and she is worried about what she will do if her position is eliminated. Nancy is a single mother. She has a good relationship with her college-age daughter, who lives at home; her daughter stays busy with work and classes and is rarely home. About 4 weeks ago, Nancy’s mother learned she was terminally ill and moved in so that Nancy could look after her. Nancy’s mother is demanding and often complains that she does not like Nancy’s house or how Nancy cares for her, but Nancy is trying her best. Nancy has recently lost over 10 pounds because she has been so busy with work and caring for her mother that some days she forgets to eat or loses her appetite. Nancy used to enjoy going to the gym several times per week, but she finds she does not have time to go anymore. Nancy has wanted to quit smoking for the past two decades. About 3 months ago, she spoke to her doctor about a structured, medically-supervised plan to help her to quit. Unfortunately, she has found her smoking habit has actually gotten worse. She is up to 2 ½ packs of cigarettes per day. The folder the doctor gave her with the smoking cessation plan inside sits untouched on her kitchen table.
Begin your essay with a discussion of the psychological factors that affect wellness and illness due to stress. Be sure to include physiological aspects of stress and at least two of the major models of stress as discussed in your text. Include these factors as you address the following questions:
- Identify the stressors that exist in the case study from each of the following categories: stressors related to family, occupation, and health.
- Explain how stress is measured. Identify at least one coping resource for each of the following categories: psychological, biological, and social coping resources that can be used to decrease stress? Describe what happens to a person’s body when he/she does not use positive coping mechanisms for stress?
- Nancy is clearly using tobacco to cope with stress. What are some problems that can result from tobacco use?
- How can stress-related chronic illnesses be prevented? If a person suffers with a chronic illness, what are can he or she do to accept the illness and develop a healthier lifestyle? What would you recommend to Nancy to make changes in her life?
Finally, discuss how you will use the concepts in this paper in your personal and professional life.
References should include your textbook (Attached) and at least two additional scholarly resources.
Each Paper should include:
- A title page
- The paper itself (the “discussion”)
- A reference page
- Use standard margins: 1″ on all sides.
- Use standard 12-point font size in Times New Roman or Arial.
- Use standard double-spacing: average of 22 lines per page, and between 20 to 24 lines per page.
- Use left-aligned text. Do not right-justify.
Begin your paper with a discussion of the psychological factors which affect wellness and illness due to stress. Be sure to include physiological aspects of stress and at least two of the major models of stress as discussed in the text.
Include these factors as you discuss the questions in the next section.
Addresses each of the following areas:
Discuss how you will use the concepts in this paper in your personal and professional life.
Paper is appropriate in length (body of the paper should be 5 pages in length, not including the title page or reference page).
Paper includes reference to the textbook (Attached) and two other sources utilized that can be found online for free.
Paper is free of typographical errors.
Paper includes a highly-developed viewpoint and purpose.
Paper demonstrates superior organization; communication is highly ordered, logical and unified.