- Identify and describe some of the experiences of war brides in the US. What laws made their migration possible?
- Identify and describe the role of Asian adoptees within the early Cold War period.
- Identify and describe the migration of students, scholars, and skilled professionals from Asia during the decades after WWII, especially during the Cold War. What about the
position in the Cold War prompted changes in its policies toward migrants from Asia?
- Identify and describe the experiences of
nurses during the decades after WWII.
- Identify and describe changes in anti-Asian racism, especially within the context of housing, socially, and politically.
- Identify and describe the Chinese Confession Program.
- Identify and describe the origins of the model minority stereotype
What is complicated and problematic about terms like â€œSoutheast Asianâ€ and â€œIndochineseâ€?
Identify and describe US involvement in Southeast Asia.
Identify and describe some of the major characteristics of the first and second wave of Vietnamese and Cambodian refugees to the United States.
What was â€œOperation Babyliftâ€? Who are Amerasians? According to Jana Lipman, how were Amerasians used to frame the US as â€œa benevolent global powerâ€? Who was excluded the 1982 Amerasian Amendment?
What challenges did Vietnamese and other Southeast Asian refugees face in the United States?
What areas of the US economy did Southeast Asians fill?
America By the Numbers
Identify and describe some of the central issues the young people featured in the documentary were experiencing.
What is PTSD? How is PTSD passed on to the second generation?
How did African American groups
According to Lee, how did young Asian American activists view the Vietnam War? What organizations and groups did they create in response to the war?
What did embracing a Third World perspective and identity mean to Asian American activists in the 1960s and 70s? What did folks mean by â€œYellow Powerâ€?
What cultural works did Asian Americans produce during the 1960s and 70s to reflect how they were re-defining what it means to be Asian American?
What role did sexism and homophobia play in the Asian American Movement and who are some of the Asian American activists Lee identities as challenging homophobia?
Questions for A Song for Ourselves
Who is Chris Iijima? What factors motivated Iijima’s creative output? How did his experiences in the 60s and 70s shape his politics?
After the documentary, go online and listen to songs from A Grain of Sand: Music for the Struggle By Asians in America. Read the liner notes from the album. Identify and describe what some of the songs reveal to you the Yellow Power Movement in the United States. Identify and describe at least 2 and connect the lyrics up with the time period.
File at the bottom
1) Identify and describe the significance of the Hart-Cellar Act and the kinds of preferences built into Americaâ€™s new system of immigration.
2) Identify and describe the significance of the Immigration Act of 1990. What biases and preferences existed in the act and how did it contribute to â€œillegal immigration.
3) What are the effects of the Hart-Cellar Act on Asian American? How did the Hart-Cellar Act change Asian American demographics?
4) What are the push and pull factor for different Asian ethnic groups migrating to the US after 1965? Be able to identify push and pull factors for Filipinx, Asian Indians, Chinese, Korean, and Pakistani.
5) What groups of people fall into the category of â€œillegal immigrantsâ€? How was this category created by the US immigration system?
6) What role did shifts in the US economy play in the economic situation of Asian American migrants after 1965?
7) What role did ethnic enclaves and
Also, here is a wonderful resource created by Mike Flynn and Shikha Dalmia
- Identify and describe the new forms of discrimination Asian American students face in the US educational system.
- What is â€œvigilante racismâ€ and what are some of the incidences of â€œvigilante racismâ€ experienced by Asian Americans during the 1980s and 1990s?
- Who is Vincent Chin and why is his death important?
- Who is Wen-Ho Lee and what was he charged with?
- Identify and describe the tensions between Black and Korean communities during the 1990s.