Case Study 2: Law Enforcement and Mental Health Intervention
Due Week 9 and worth 130 points
One of the evolving issues in law enforcement is how agencies should respond to individuals who are mentally ill. The Memphis Tennessee police department has developed a model of reaction that is being utilized by numerous law enforcement agencies across the nation.
Read the article titled â€œMemphis Modelâ€ located here. You may also view the article here. You may also use the Internet or Strayer Library in addition to the Memphis Model article to research other articles on the model developed by the Memphis police department.
Write a three to four (3-4) page paper in which you:
- Summarize the model and its major tenants. Next, specify the modelâ€™s main effects in terms of the basic components of crime prevention.
- Take a position on whether or not the Memphis Model is the appropriate law enforcement response to mentally ill individuals encountered by law enforcement officers responding to calls. Provide a rationale for your response.
- Suggest at least two (2) changes for the Memphis Model if you were a law enforcement administrator charged with its implementation in your jurisdiction. Provide a rationale for your response.
- Use at least two (2) quality academic resources as references, such as journal articles, newspapers, magazines, and publications from law enforcement associations. Note: Wikipedia, blogs, and similar websites do not qualify as quality academic resources.
Your assignment must follow these formatting requirements:
- Be typed, double spaced, using Times New Roman font (size 12), with one-inch margins on all sides; citations and references must follow APA or school-specific format. Check with your professor for any additional instructions.
- Include a cover page containing the title of the assignment, the studentâ€™s name, the professorâ€™s name, the course title, and the date. The cover page and the reference page are not included in the required assignment page length.
The specific course learning outcomes associated with this assignment are:
- Characterize the basic components of crime prevention.
- Compare and contrast past and current prevention trends for debate.
- Compare and contrast â€œwhat worksâ€ in crime prevention and the resources involved with productive program development.
- Identify various investigative productivity issues.
- Evaluate the importance of program planning, implementation, and assessment.
- Use technology and information resources to research issues related to crime prevention strategies.
- Write clearly and concisely about topics related to crime preventions strategies using proper writing mechanics and technical style conventions.
- Design a model crime prevention program.