Energy and Food Webs
- Provide an example of a food chain in the area where you live.
- Humans are parts of food chains and food webs, too. Where on a food web would you typically find humans (near the bottom with the producers, at the top with carnivores, or somewhere in between)? Explain.
- What are some advantages of being part of a food web rather than a food chain?
Here is a food web for Lake Michigan:
To see this PDF, you will need to download the free Adobe Reader.
- Propose a mechanism for how this fish was introduced to Lake Michigan.
- What challenges could occur within a food web when a new predator like this is introduced into an ecosystem?
- What natural population controls are missing for this species within this food web?
- Do you think steps should be taken to eradicate this species from the food web? Explain why or why not? If so, what steps can be implemented?
Below are some resources that you may find helpful for the discussion this week. Enjoy!
Great website and video on food webs: http://www.brightstorm.com/science/biology/communi…
Food chains and food webs: http://www.vtaide.com/png/foodchains.htm
This must be 300-350 words