Create 8â€“10-slide PowerPoint presentation (with speaker’s notes) to address best practices and procedures for terminating employees.
HR professionals must be able to articulate best practices for processes and procedures for termination, in order to protect the organization from lawsuits.
- E. I. Dupont de Nemours and Company v. Pressman, 679 A.2d 436 (Del. 1996). (Focus area: Breaches in good faith.)
- Lazar v. Superior Court of Los Angeles County, 909 P.2d 981 (Cal. 1996). (Focus area: Fraud.)
- McQuirk v. Donnelley, 189 F.3d 793 (9th Cir. 1999). (Focus area: Bad job references.)
- HR Specialist. (2013). Avoiding lawsuits: 6 secrets from the other side. HR Specialist: Employment Law, 43(5), 1â€“4.
- McEwen, S. A. (2002, June). Barristers tips: Preparing yourself for oral argument. Los Angeles Lawyer, 8.
- Reif, A. F., & Gaulin, L. M. (2010). Best practices for a reduction in force: A basic checklist. Employee Relations Law Journal, 36(1), 38â€“41.
- HR Specialist. (2013). Is that generosityâ€¦or hush money? Sudden severance switch raises bias red flags. HR Specialist: Compensation and Benefits, 8(8), 3.
- Levitz, J., & Shishkin, P. (2009, March 11). More workers cite age bias after layoffs. The Wall Street Journal, D-1.
- Jones, A. (2007, October 6). Sidley Austin LLP settles age-discrimination suit. The Wall Street Journal, A-18.
If necessary, familiarize yourself with Microsoft’s PowerPoint program before completing this assessment. You will need to find two or more current, scholarly, or professional resources, as well as real-world organization examples, to support your presentation.
Create a PowerPoint presentation (with speaker’s notes) for HR leadership, in which you address the following:
- Assess best practices for terminating employees.
- Identify the types of practices and procedures to create and maintain before terminating an employee.
- Explain the importance of documentation when terminating an employee.
- Describe key concepts for HRM professionals to adhere to during the termination process.
- Differentiate between the reasons for termination and the manner of termination.
Your PowerPoint slides and speaker’s notes are to be written coherently to support a central idea with correct grammar, usage, and mechanics as expected of a business professional. Support your presentation with citations from relevant readings, and use real-world organization examples to demonstrate the importance of the concepts and analysis you have provided.
- References: Support your presentation with at least two academic resources from the Capella University Library. You must use proper APA style to list your references.
- Length: Create 8â€“10 PowerPoint slides, plus a references slide and the title slide.
- Written communication: Demonstrate graduate-level writing skills through accurate communication of thoughts that convey the overall goals of the presentation and do not detract from the message.
- Formatting: Use APA style and format for in-text citations and references.
- Font and font size: Times New Roman, 12 point.